Thursday, February 6, 2014

The Joy of a Happy Perspective

The past several entries have centered around the premis of Mr. Hugh Hewitt's book, The Happiest Life: Seven Gifts, Seven Givers, and the Secret to Genuine Success. I enjoyed discovering the common denominators of happy people: encouragement, energy, enthusiasm, empathy, good humor, graciousness and gratitude. I do not believe there were any major bombshells uncovered, but hopefully a seed to two was planted. Or maybe you are one of these beautifully happy people traveling in our midst. And if you are, thank you!
Happiness is about perspective. You know, the whole half-empty, half-full glass discussion. The answer is quite telling yet I also think it might change depending on the type of day you are experiencing. Some days are like Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. You might really want to pack your bags and move to Australia (which sounds pretty good to me). But the joy comes in knowing that you learned something important from a bad day. And probably something you won't repeat. Some things are completely out of our control and we have to let those things go. This concept is beyond hard for some people but the truth is until you learn to let go, continual happiness is going to elude you. That in itself, is a tragedy.
I remember my sophomore year in college, a person very close to me asked, "Why are you so happy all the time?". We were on a sidewalk headed toward a mall to do some shopping and seriously, who would not be happy about that? But, I remember shrugging my shoulders and emotionally turning inward a little. Was there something wrong with me? Was I a bit of an idiot (my brothers are not allowed to answer this question)? Should I brood a little more? This question dogged me for a long time and I think altered me a bit. Now, older and wiser, I wish I would have said, "Sure beats the alternative!" But more importantly, I realize that question had nothing to do with me and everything to do with the other person.
Our time on Earth is short yet we have the chance to meet so many people in our daily lives and make a positive difference. And here's the best part - you can do this for free! No donations other than smiles. No verbal commitment other than to say hello, happily. No long term contract other than while you are improving the lives of others, you are improving you. That is quite a return on your investment! 
I hope you have enjoyed the segment we covered in January and I hope you will continue along the path of joyful opportunity. A lot of people are looking for the key to happiness and the thing is, they have been holding it the whole time. They just need someone to show them how to unlock the latch. Perhaps, just perhaps, you will find a new role as a happiness locksmith. And if so, I hope your business thrives.
Carry on, happy one, carry on!

No comments:

Post a Comment