Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The Joy of Voting

On a hot day in July of 1848, two women, Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Lucretia Mott, began an important and crucial movement in Seneca Falls, New York. On August 20, 1920 the Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution became law. And today, all across this wonderful country, women are exercising their hard fought right by casting a vote for the President of the United States and many other key seats within their states. I am so grateful for the women who looked far into the future and decided we deserve a voice, we deserve to matter, we deserve to VOTE!
From all the political hoopla on TV, I imagine this year will be a banner voter turnout. In my opinion, we should have a banner year every election. Ladies, our right to vote has only been around for 92 years. My great grandmother, who was a single mother of two young girls, the breadwinner and decision maker for her family, could not own a business, the deed to her property was in her father's name and she would never even come close to the earning potential of her alcoholic husband who had decided to desert his wife and children. This, THIS is why I vote. Because of the women and men who suffered without a voice and for those that gave their life so my voice could be heard. These lives matter every day we have the freedom to vote.
My Grandmother made sure her four daughters voted and understood the importance behind the pomp and circumstance. She made sure they were politically educated from both sides and did a great job as she raised two Republicans and two Democrats. Note to Washington: these sisters are as close as blades of grass on Augusta's golf course despite their political affiliation. I accompanied my Mom to every election day and I will do the same with Anna. There is great pride in women across this nation and that brings me great joy!
My friends run the gamut: Independent, Libertarian, Republican and Democrat. I love their intensity for their beliefs (most days) and I love that they are instilling this strength within their daughters. We have had two amazing female Secretary of States back to back and I think we are just a few elections away from a female President. Personally, I hope we remove the sexism and just focus on the quality of the candidate, but I do know on that day, I will be cheering a little louder because our first Madame President gave a rousing inaugural speech.
I have often commented we need more women in Washington, preferably Moms. They know how to balance a budget. They know all about compromise. They would carpool and look for the most cost effective way to travel across our great country and world. They would stick those "children" that cannot play fairly in time out. They would teach manners, self respect and the longevity of a kind word. And I think there would be less finger pointing and a bit more high fives. Yes, I am of joyful heart today. The power of voting is an irreplaceable right that we need to hold onto tightly and proudly. Our voice does matter and voting is a powerful way to be heard. And oh, what a joyous sound!

No comments:

Post a Comment