Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Joy of November

In keeping with the gratitude theme, I thought I would borrow an idea many of my friends did on Facebook last year. Each day in November, they would write one word describing why they were thankful. I love this idea and hope to incorporate into our family traditions. And as of this day, our November traditions include celebrating my Dad's and husband's birthdays, and eating too much on Thanksgiving! Time to add to the list.
But I do believe this is a wonderful way to teach gratitude to our children. To make this emotion an everday occurrence, not just during the holiday season when they hope Santa is listening. But to really be thankful for that funny friend in preschool that makes outdoor time a gigglefest. To be grateful for the third grade teacher who not only teaches from the heart, but truly loves her students. To value a family that embraces your grumpy days along with your sunshine days. To be thankful for the sibling that plays games when Mom and Dad are busy with the mundane tasks that run a household. And for those two loving dogs that are never sad to see you and are perhaps the best examples of how to be a best friend.
Our family has a lot to be thankful for this year. As I watch the devastation on the East Coast caused by Hurricane Sandy, I am reminded we are never really in control. Each day is a gift, not a right, and our luxury is life, not possessions. Americans are strong, resilient, courageous and scrappy. I am thankful to be an American and in the midst of chaos, I think we shine brightest. We are still the beacon to the rest of the world and people still flock to our shores in the hopes of a better life and a little bit more freedom in this world. We are not a perfect country...this election and the gridlock in Washington has shown our country's worst side. But it has also shown, we are a country of hope. We are a country that does not settle. And we are a country that lends a hand to those in need because in the end we are a grateful, thankful nation. And I could not think of a better way to begin my joyful celebration of November. Have you found your joy today?

No comments:

Post a Comment