Thursday, March 20, 2014

The Joy of Vernal Equinox

Ahhhh, feel the warmth slowly return as the sun peeks her rays through the clouds this morning. A perfect gesture for the Northern Hemisphere to celebrate the Vernal Equinox, or as we non-scientists like to call, the First Day of SPRING!!!! And that is the end of my science lesson because as I began to compile my research for today, most of my truths turned out to be myths so I will leave you to your own discovery.
Our children's school asked the kids to wear half white and half black today to celebrate the Vernal Equinox. Their website even has a little tidbit about why Thursday, March 20, 2014 is a pretty cool day to celebrate. I will also tell you why: this has been the longest winter in decades, that's why! Seriously. School was closed again on Tuesday because of ice. Yes, ice slathered our back deck, made beautiful ice droplets hanging from barely budding leaves, left cool designs on the grass and made every parent in our area feel like we were extras in the movie Groundhog Day. Not often do I throw my hands up in the air to admit defeat, but this week I quickly fell to my knees in quiet surrender. Yes, Winter, who I have always loved for your beautiful landscapes, your quiet snow, your ice sculptures, your free outdoor recreational activities, the steaming hot chocolate with marshmallows, crackling and popping fires, buttered, salted popcorn, rich comfort foods and soothing Irish Coffees, I finally had to say you won. I am so over you. Like a bad boyfriend so over you. Like a bridge over troubled waters so over you. Like a Taylor Swift song so over you. Yeah, you know the one. Sigh. Just so you know, winter, I am moving on to someone who will not take me for granted. Who does not expect me to clean up after them. Someone who brings me flowers, sunsets and fresh air. Someone who makes me sing out loud, open up my windows, paint my toes, find my flip flops and put my fresh face forward. Today I welcome spring into my life and I could not be happier.
Swinging into Spring! And thinking I need
to wash winter off my shoes.
Spring and hope are similar in my opinion. We have a chance to see things fresh again, a chance to start over, a new beginning. We see tiny shoots of green struggle to pop through the winterized dirt. Within a week, a beautiful daffodil sits proudly on top of a long stem saying, "Look at me! Look at me!" bending and swaying with the whispers of the wind. Birds flutter and sing as they hunt for twigs, string, pine straw and grass to build their nests. Squirrels leave divots in the ground searching for nuts they buried in the fall. Tiny buds appear on the trees. The days stretch out their arms and push darkness into the background. Voices carry through neighborhoods. Signs pop up for swim club meetings. Grills sizzle and pop and I tend to follow the scent. The parks and trails are busy, alive and thriving. Farmers Markets become more crowded. Festivals of kites, art, food, music and culture fill our weekends. The sound of a hard ball hitting an even harder bat echo through baseball fields across the country. Brooks and streams and lakes begin to thaw in places that were frozen longer than usual. The gurgle and bubble sound lures small children to their banks to toss rocks, sticks and stones. We kiss more skinned knees and elbows but we hear less arguing. We see Lemonade Stands and Ice Cream Trucks. We see neighbors tending the yard, riding their bikes or stepping into our yard to catch up from the long winter break. We see goslings and baby ducks navigate a pond that must look like the ocean to them. We see kites soaring. We hear geese honking goodbye. We feel our skin thaw and perhaps catch a little color on our cheeks and arms. And we hope this sunshine we feel warming our bodies will be here longer than a day. We hope Spring has decided to hang around for a while and not be a weekend stowaway. We hope for a lot of things, I think.
Enjoying the exploration of Sadie's first Spring.
Spring is kind of like New Year's Day. We vow to increase our exercise regimen now that the weather is agreeable. We vow to eat better because we have access to fresh vegetables and fruit. We will grill more chicken and fish and less burgers and steaks. We will take better care of our lawn and gardens. We might grow some herbs or lettuce or tomatoes or peppers to offset the cost of rising grocery bills. We will plan more outings for our family. We will plan reunions with friends - maybe a big cookout with casserole dishes and ice filled coolers packed with iced down beverages and sparklers for the kids and homemade ice cream for dessert. We will buy more sidewalk chalk and bubbles. We will play catch and chase fireflies. We will sit on our front porch that begs for rocking chairs, sipping iced tea or lemon water and sharing summer plans that may not come to fruition. But we will be happy. We will be celebratory. We will be hopeful and joyful and springy and silly and uninhibited. We will hug our children tightly taking in the scent of dirt, grass, sweat and childhood because this season does not last long either.
So, today, I celebrate you, Vernal Equinox, First Day of Spring, Half White/Half Black Clothing Day because you are a reminder of all things hopeful, beautiful and joyful. You put the spring in my step, the cool, dark dirt in my hands and under my nails, the damp, chilly grass under my feet and the much repeated phrase, a song in my heart. And yes, while I grumbled about the overstay of winter, I must admit, like all good things in life, you, Spring, were worth the wait. Let the celebration begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment