Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Joy of Light

When my first child was born, my Mother presented me with a Mom's Devotional Bible that caters to the special needs and encouragement required of any Mom, but especially a new one. Through the years, I have underlined, starred, earmarked and shared not only God's word but the heartfelt nuggets placed in between the scripture. One of my favorites is titled "Label Your Light". The point is you can either illuminate or eliminate your light, but the choice is up to you. And if you are feeling extra shiny, you can pick the type of light you would like to be in life. 
Candle: "Do you light the room about you, but are you vulnerable to other influences that might snuff out your flame?".
Floodlight: "Do you shine so strongly in people's eyes that they are blinded rather than enabled to see?".
Flashlight: " Do you click on only in emergencies?".
Chandelier: Do you shine with beauty and make those around you look better?"
Honestly, I think I have been every labeled light in one single day, depending on the circumstances and people I encounter. But as I move forward in life and focus on my joy project, I am trying to be a chandelier. Some days, it is so easy to shine and other days, I am covered in cobwebs, barely making a glimmer. 
My Mom shared a story with me about a lovely woman from my hometown of Mt. Airy, MD. She suffered a horrendous tragedy when her husband, an avid bicyclist, was run over by a tractor trailer. Instantly, she was a single Mom of two older children. I was in high school at the time and I remember our whole town mourning and wrapping their arms around the family, hoping to heal a wound that would never truly close. Years later, I moved to North Carolina and during my phone calls back home, I always asked about Mrs. W and her children. Mom said she was doing great and seemed very happy. I was bewildered. How can someone be happy when they lost someone so violently and unexpected? How do they move forward? Mom shared this little nugget with me: Mrs. W set a daily goal to do a good deed for someone else every, single day. The person could be a neighbor, a family member, a long time friend or a complete stranger. Life is a short gift and  the little, unexpected moments of kindness are the beacon in which we bask. I often think Mrs. W could have easily gone into the dark and never dared strike a match to see her way out again. But not only did she light her candle, she lit the internal joy of a few people who may have been a little lost in the fog. 
So, as you venture out today or tomorrow, see if you can light the way for someone. And you never know, someone might just leave a light on for you. Shine on, people. Shine on!

No comments:

Post a Comment