Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Joy of Gratitude

I saw a sign recently that read "It is not HAPPY people who are thankful, it is thankful people who are HAPPY". I loved this saying so much, I took a picture and have it securely stored on my smart phone (which by the way, does not indicate that the owner is smart). I click to that sign as a reminder that gratitude is the pathway to happiness. And I plan to place that sign in my house when we move in the next few months, as a reminder to our family and friends, that WE are the owners of  the happiness in our hearts. Those moments when we are simply grateful for all that we have in our life. 
I received a sweet email from my friend Amanda a few weeks back. She expressed her disdain for a rather unpleasant day but how my blog brought her joy in the midst of "ARRRGGGHHHH". And shameless plug, I was beyond giddy that I had reached someone. BUT, here is the focus of the note. She thanked me. She took time out of her busy day to say thank you to someone that had an unknowing impact on a minuscule moment of her life. I emailed her back, "BLOG ALERT! We need more gratitude and a lot less attitude! Thank you, friend!". For you see, I was battling writer's block (and also feeling a little sorry for myself) when her email made me realize the whole point of my blog in the first place. Insert popular bumper sticker here: Practice random acts of kindness. And Amanda hit a home run.
This simple moment took me back to one of my favorite Christmas specials, that sadly, I do not believe is played on TV anymore, The Little Drummer Boy. Growing up, those claymation specials were a part of our holiday season and carry a very special place in my heart. I think of the Little Drummer Boy and how he was so scared to go visit Jesus because he thought he did not have a valuable gift to bestow upon our King. He had two wooden sticks and a drum. I wasn't there, but I am pretty sure everyone in the stable was grateful for his gift of music. I remember trying not to cry in front of my brothers during the scene where he begins playing his drum quietly followed by an emotional crescendo of music that reaches your feet and rushes through your soul like a burst of wind. As tears trickled down my cheeks, I remember hearing sniffling behind me. We thought we only saw a stable with a baby that would change the world but meanwhile three children were learning it is not the price, but the love that is given with the gift that matters. The thank you wrapped up simply and sincerely. The note that expresses a moment when someone's heart is touched. The banana or breakfast bar shared with the homeless person in the intersection. The hug that expresses what words can never explain. The hand, pressed upon another, providing peace in a frantic world.
There is a lot of negative attitude in this world at the moment. A lot of debate, not much discussion. A lot of judgment, but not much gentle advice. A lot of what have you done for me and not what have I done for you. A lot of I have so much, yet still I have nothing. Seems the little drummer boy was the wisest of all: no attitude, all gratitude and a little beat that he shared on a cold, dark night with a grateful heart. Rum pum pum pum pum pum pum pum puuuuummmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment