Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The Joy Party

Joy is defined by the Random House Webster's College Dictionary as "a feeling or state of great delight or happiness as caused by something exceptionally good or satisfying; keen pleasure; elation". I have been noticing there does not appear to be much continuous joy in our day to day lives. I have noticed manners are disappearing as I hear more, "stupid", "idiot", "get out of my way" and "what are are you thinking" instead of "thank you", "you're welcome", "excuse me" and "is there another solution?". Which made me think maybe people really aren't happy and well, that is just sad.
Recently we visited Marbles Kids Museum in Raleigh, NC, a creative and innovative play area that brings great joy to our youngest child. Outside of the iron gates is a statue of Ghandi with the words, "Be the change you want to see in the world." etched underneath. I spoke with my children about what they would like to change and the response was, "More junk food!". Ok, so clearly I have some work to do in regards to nutrition, but then the tables were turned and my daughter asked what I would change. I thought for a moment and said, "The world could use a little more laugh bell!". (If you do not get the SNL reference, I apologize). And then I thought, I need to put this in motion.
Over the next several months, I talked to several girlfriends, mulled a few ideas in my head, annoyed my husband and contemplated several options until finally, one day...clear as a laugh bell, The Joy Diaries concept broke through the continuous swirling ideas. I emailed my friend Carolyn and she wrote back, "I LOVE IT! DO IT!". Two days later she left me a voice mail. "When are you going live with The Joy Diaries? I am watching a talk show and they are telling people you can be happy by making your bed a certain way. Really? Bed making?". The time had come to implement my change.
My plan is simple. I am going to share present and past events, places, situations and people that bring me joy. I am tired of unhappy. I am tired of disgruntled. I am tired of rude. And I am tired of people snuffing the light out of shiny, happy people. Yeah, that's right...REM. 
I have a lot to be thankful for but at times I find myself "having a bad case of the Mondays" (Office Space - in my top ten hilarious movies) and that sadness can quickly spread into a month. No thank you. As my husband gently reminded me this year many times, happiness is a choice. In a country where we have the freedom to choose I am casting my vote for happy. Feel free to join my party.


No comments:

Post a Comment