Monday, January 13, 2014

The Joy of Enthusiasm

Enthusiasm. Passion. Fire. Hurrah. Zeal. Fervor. Wow. Pretty descriptive adjectives for the third word on Mr. Hewitt's list. When I hear enthusiasm, two words pop into my head: puppies and children. These creatures are enthusiastic about everything except sleep. Have you ever seen a puppy around a freshly filled bowl of food? Or a child attack a cupcake? The great outdoors is greeted with an unbridled passion that adults can only conger in their heads. Eyes bright and big, faces beaming, legs in full throttle, trying hard to get enough traction to propel them forward into an unknown but greatly anticipated adventure. And absolutely no clue where they are headed, but boy oh boy is it going to be fun! What a wonderful way to start any day.
I tend to be enthusiastic about a few things: friends/family coming to visit, beach trips, Christmas, East Carolina University, watching my children in their various activities, the first snowfall, TexMex food and a really good book. But, I cannot say I have been enthusiastic about my day to day life but I began working on changing my outlook. And wishing I would have listened to the advice given often and freely by many mentors: find your passion and follow it; the rest will take care of itself. I remember thinking, "Duh!" and then toddling off to my next great idea that would bring me great joy and an even greater paycheck. Neither of which came to fruition because I was not following the path of my given gift. And while I may have been enthusiastic in the beginning, the fire would soon wane and I would be idly daydreaming once again. And getting annoyed by the incredibly happy person sitting next to me. 
This past fall, when the children started school, David headed to work and I was left with the haunting silence of a house without pets, I began to examine parts of my life. I reflected back to my childhood and thought about what I wanted to be when I grew up. I read magazine articles detailing steps to finding your dream job. I researched how I could fit rewarding work into our family life that is happy and stable. I took long walks without my iPod. I studied the Bible  and watched the the ones around me who were content with their existence. And I bounced ideas off of David. And slowly but surely, I noticed enthusiasm was creeping into my mornings. An uninvited yet welcomed guest who I hope is unpacking her bags to set up residence permanently. I noticed I was excited about tutoring on Thursdays. I was actually enjoying spending time in the Elementary School office, making copies and chatting with Sandy, the enthusiastic and amazing front desk receptionist. I was giddy about cooking for my family. I could not wait for Wednesday mornings when I would gather with my Discipleship group to discuss religion, life and some of the best recipes that have ever landed on my taste buds.  And "Whoa, Nelly!" I was enjoying laundry! The simple act of folding and piling freshly washed clothing was bringing me joy and I thought I had been transported to another universe. 
And I was writing. Not for anyone in particular. And not for any real purpose. But I was starting to realize ideas were bubbling, constant and rapidly. And I was starting to sense God was talking to me, quietly and gently, leading me back to what I wanted to do as a child. Write. And be a Mom.  So, here I sit in front of our iPad, candles lit, music playing in the background, children reading to one another and my words flowing, uninterrupted onto a blank page. And I realize I am once again excited for tomorrow, wondering what new adventure will unfold and where my unknown path will lead me. My eyes big and bright. My face beaming and my legs, probably not in full throttle, but moving forward, happily, joyfully, enthusiastically. Hurrah!


No comments:

Post a Comment