Monday, January 6, 2014

The Joy of Happy People

Last week I watched a segment on a morning news show that highlighted a new book authored by radio personality, Hugh Hewitt titled, "The Happiest Life: Seven Gifts, Seven Givers, and the Secret to Genuine Success". Mr. Hewitt was such a delightful guest that he has intrigued me to take a look at his book and I plan on downloading a copy soon. Hewitt stated the place to start is generosity and the rest will follow, enriching not only your life, but those around you as well. I like this concept, A LOT! Isn't happiness what most people crave in their life and have for centuries? I hear a lot of people mention happy on their resolution list but the truth is, happiness is a decision people make every day when they wake up. And I am guessing Mr. Hewitt knows that, too. But he gently suggests that people take a look at these seven attributes as a way of letting happiness into your every day life. True, there are going to be people who derail you off the happy train for a stop or two, but your attitude can easily make you a passenger once again. Being happy 100% of the time is an impossible goal (and I think it's important to look at what is causing the unhappiness, yet be careful not to dwell), but I think looking for a majority of happy is completely attainable.
Here is the list Mr. Hewitt mentioned on Friday:
encouragement
energy
enthusiasm
empathy 
good humor
graciousness
gratitude
Did you notice something missing on this list? I did. Immediately. Wealth. Perhaps these are attributes of some wealthy people you know, but to me this list transcends race, economic standing, religious affiliation, political leanings, age, gender...well, this list transcends everything and why I think I am so drawn to his perception of happy people. And I thought of the happy people I know and yup, they have these traits, indubitably (Do you know how long I have been wanting to use that word in my post? I love to say it, with a British accent of course. Go ahead, try it. I guarantee you will smile!).
The other thought that popped into my head as I listened to Mr. Hewitt is that most children seem to have these traits. If you have spent anytime around children whether in a classroom, on a playground, in a social setting, or just watching your own, these adjectives are going to make their way to the forefront at some point in your observation. The next time you walk past a playground, just take a few minutes and I think you might be amazed at how quickly you will see the happiness factor surrounding you. 
This past Saturday, Josh and I watched Anna play her first basketball game of the season. Josh was very excited to watch his big sister in action and even more excited that her team won. It's a little easier to be happy when you have success. But, what I walked away with was all seven of these characteristics were checked off by both teams. Of course, they had high energy level - that is kind of a given with children. But they encouraged each other, kindly and often. They showed empathy when a girl was injured or if a teammate had an awkward moment in the game (there are a lot of these in a 9/10 year old girls basketball game). They laughed at their mistakes. They were gracious and grateful athletes, whether they won or lost. Most of the girls were just happy to spend a morning, dribbling a round ball up and down the court with their friends, celebrating the good moments and learning from the "oops" moments. And yes, screaming and high fiving when points lit up their side of the scoreboard. 
As always, I learn a lot from my children. And I am excited to spend the next few entries delving a little deeper into the words Mr. Hewitt has gleaned from his years studying happy people. Who in my mind, are the successful people of this world. Thank you, Mr. Hewitt, for putting a bit of joy in my day and also, the days ahead. "Shiny, Happy People" unite. See you in the funny pages!

No comments:

Post a Comment