Friday, January 3, 2014

The Joy of an Unexpected Nap

I felt tired this morning as I was preparing breakfast and packing lunches for our children. Not surprising as this culminates the end of a busy yet fun holiday season. But I was a bit more lagging in energy than usual. So, after the hugs and kisses were delivered, coats zipped, hats and mittens pulled on with much dismay and everyone departed the house, I decided to lie down on the couch. As I closed my eyes, I realized I had not even made my coffee yet. Egads! What was I thinking? I thought about getting up and then decided to stay put....for two more hours! I woke up disoriented, dazed and trying to get my bearings. Then I put my arms over my head, clasped my hands together, turned my palms up toward the sky and stretched like a sunning cat in a window. And then I smiled. I thanked God for an unexpected nap.
Truly, aren't naps one of the wonders of the world? We really should celebrate naps more than we do in the United States. Remember Robert Fulghum and his book "All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten"? (If you have not read this book, I encourage you to put this read on your 2014 list - http://www.amazon.com/Really-Need-Know-Learned-Kindergarten/dp/034546639X).  He bravely wrote, "Think what a better world it would be if we all - the whole world - had cookies and milk around 3 o'clock every afternoon and then lay down with our blankies for a nap.". A simple, basic act that could bring normalcy back in our hurried, hectic lives. A few moments to recharge, let go, decompress, look at the world differently, with rested eyes and hearts. Somewhere along the line, someone decided naps were for the lazy and unmotivated person. Somewhere along the line, people accepted this as fact but somewhere along the line, an enlightened person disagreed and now naps are being heralded as part of a healthy lifestyle. According to The National Sleep Foundation, a short 20-30 minute nap will boost your energy without interfering with your nighttime sleep. Ok, so I may have a weeeee bit of trouble sleeping tonight, but I am telling you I am on fire this afternoon. My kids may not share my enthusiasm about my morning nap but at least we will have an interesting time finding ways to burn through my extra energy today.
Here are a few more reasons to indulge in a daily nap without feeling guilty:
1.) restores alertness
2.) prevents burnout
3.) heightens sensory perception
4.) reduces risk of heart disease
5.) you will be more productive and creative
Still not convinced? Here are a few people you may recognize who embraced the nap as part of their daily routine: Leonardo da Vinci, Napolean, Thomas Edison, Eleanor Roosevelt, Gene Autry, John Fitzgerald Kennedy, John D. Rockefeller, Winston Churchill, Lyndon B. Johnson and Ronald Reagan. A pretty impressive list, I think. And go ahead, add my name. That should be the clincher in persuading your boss to allow naps as part of the new and improved employee manual.
Do you remember the TV show Seinfeld? George made a napping place under his desk and I remember thinking he was brilliant. I also remember secretly wanting to create a siesta area in my cubicle and had conspired with co-workers on the possibility. We proved unsuccessful. However, our boss did install a meditation room for yoga, but it was right next to her office and no one used the space unless she was out of town. And I am pretty sure yoga was not the activity of choice since I was the one waking people up to go home. I am not sure how productive that space proved to be in the long run.
But I digress. I am a fan of naps. I have been since before Kindergarten. I have been known to excuse myself to "go read" for a bit and never finish a book. But I have never regretted a nap. A short nap. A long nap. A medium nap. A planned nap. An unexpected nap. I love them all and I hope, sometime this year, you discover the unfettered joy of an unexpected nap. After all, I am guessing improving your health is on your 2014 list of things to do. Well, by all means, at 3:00pm, enjoy a cookie with a glass of cold milk, grab your blankie and enjoy a good nap. It's the least you could do. Sweet dreams. 

No comments:

Post a Comment